Australia  

Seeking peace in Libya and Iran, EU haunted by past diplomatic inaction

Reuters Thursday, 16 January 2020
After war broke out again in Libya early last year, a special team of EU diplomats in Tripoli was forced back to neighboring Tunisia to do what they had been doing for several years: wait.
0
shares
ShareTweetSavePostSend
 

You Might Like


💡 One News Page Knowledge: Other News Mentions

European Union European Union Economic and political union of European states

Dublin streets quiet on second day of Ireland's new virus lockdown [Video]

Dublin streets quiet on second day of Ireland's new virus lockdown

On Thursday, Ireland became the first EU nation to return to lockdown.View on euronews

Credit: euronews (in English)    Duration: 00:50Published
Brexit: Barnier staying is a good sign, says Northern Ireland Secretary [Video]

Brexit: Barnier staying is a good sign, says Northern Ireland Secretary

Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis has said a decision by EU chiefnegotiator Michel Barnier to stay on in London this week to continue talks ona post-Brexit trade deal is a “very good sign”. The talks had been expected toswitch to Brussels but it is reported that Mr Barnier is to remain in the UKuntil Wednesday – in part because of the high coronavirus infection rates inthe Belgian capital. Mr Lewis told BBC1’s The Andrew Marr Show: “The fact thatMichel Barnier has outlined in the last week or so that they are going to comeback and do these intensive negotiations, he recognises the EU do need tomove, and that he is staying through to next week, is totally a very goodsign. “We have got to make sure that it is a deal that works not just for ourpartners in Europe – we want to have a very good relationship with themobviously – but one that works for the United Kingdom. “I think there is agood chance that we can get a deal but I think it is for the EU to understandthat it is for them to move as well.”

Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO    Duration: 00:36Published
Protests in Poland against strict abortion law [Video]

Protests in Poland against strict abortion law

On Friday protesters marched through many cities in Poland, after a top court declared it illegal to abort in cases of foetal malformation, because it is considered “incompatible” with the Polish constitution. 98% of legal abortions in the country in 2019 were carried out because of foetal abnormalities. Now, women in Poland are only allowed to terminate their pregnancy in cases of rape, incest or when the mother’s health is at risk. Opposition parties in Poland, the European Union's human rights commissioner and international human rights organisations criticized the court's decision as violating women's rights. Protests defied a COVID-19 related ban on gatherings. Report by Bassaneseg. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn

Credit: ODN    Duration: 01:31Published
Brexit briefing: 67 days until the end of the transition period [Video]

Brexit briefing: 67 days until the end of the transition period

The UK left the European Union on January 31. Here we look at the latestfigures and key dates in the ongoing Brexit process.

Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO    Duration: 00:48Published
Brexit: 68 days until Britain is scheduled to leave the EU [Video]

Brexit: 68 days until Britain is scheduled to leave the EU

The UK left the European Union on January 31. Here we look at the latestfigures and key dates in the ongoing Brexit process.

Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO    Duration: 00:50Published

Libya Libya Country in North Africa

‘Libya deserves better’: Hope, doubts follow ceasefire deal [Video]

‘Libya deserves better’: Hope, doubts follow ceasefire deal

Libyans welcome UN-backed agreement but express scepticism about the implementation of it.

Credit: Al Jazeera STUDIO    Duration: 02:02Published
Libya ceasefire: UN chief hails fundamental step towards peace [Video]

Libya ceasefire: UN chief hails fundamental step towards peace

Antonio Guterres summoned reporters to give the ceasefire agreement his strong support.

Credit: Al Jazeera STUDIO    Duration: 01:55Published
UN says Libya sides reach ‘permanent ceasefire’ deal [Video]

UN says Libya sides reach ‘permanent ceasefire’ deal

Libya’s warring sides sign agreement for ‘a permanent ceasefire in all areas’ in what the UN calls a ‘historic achievement’.

Credit: Al Jazeera STUDIO    Duration: 01:57Published
Libya's rival factions sign UN-brokered 'permanent' ceasefire in Geneva [Video]

Libya's rival factions sign UN-brokered 'permanent' ceasefire in Geneva

Libya's two warring factions agreed to a permanent truce after five days of talks at the United Nations, which hailed the move as "historic".View on euronews

Credit: euronews (in English)    Duration: 03:16Published
Libyan forces reach permanent ceasefire deal [Video]

Libyan forces reach permanent ceasefire deal

Credit: FRANCE 24 English    Duration: 02:09Published

Tunisia Tunisia Country in North Africa

Tunisia: Protests erupt after man killed in kiosk demolition [Video]

Tunisia: Protests erupt after man killed in kiosk demolition

Credit: FRANCE 24 English    Duration: 01:55Published
'Govt in touch with Libyan authorities to rescue 7 abducted Indians': MEA [Video]

'Govt in touch with Libyan authorities to rescue 7 abducted Indians': MEA

Seven Indians were kidnapped in Libya last month, the Ministry of External Affairs said. It added that India is in touch with Libya authorities to rescue them. The Indians hail from Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh. “The Indians were kidnapped at a place called Asshwerif on September 14. They were on their way to Tripoli airport to catch a flight to India. The Indians were working at a construction, oil field supplies company,” MEA Spokesperson, Anurag Srivastava said. He added that in September 2015, Indians were advised to avoid travelling to Libya and later in May 2016, the government imposed a complete travel ban which is still in force. “Our Embassy in Tunisia has reached out to Libyan govt authorities concerned. The Indians are safe, their photographs have been shown to us. The government is in touch with their family members and the employer. We are trying our best to secure their release from captivity,” Srivastava said.

Credit: HT Digital Content    Duration: 02:28Published
'Govt in touch with Libyan authorities to rescue 7 abducted Indians' MEA [Video]

'Govt in touch with Libyan authorities to rescue 7 abducted Indians' MEA

Seven Indians were kidnapped in Libya last month, the Ministry of External Affairs said. It added that India is in touch with Libya authorities to rescue them. The Indians hail from Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh. "The Indians were kidnapped at a place called Asshwerif on September 14. They were on their way to Tripoli airport to catch a flight to India. The Indians were working at a construction, oil field supplies company," MEA Spokesperson, Anurag Srivastava said. He added that in September 2015, Indians were advised to avoid travelling to Libya and later in May 2016, the government imposed a complete travel ban which is still in force. "Our Embassy in Tunisia has reached out to Libyan govt authorities concerned. The Indians are safe, their photographs have been shown to us. The government is in touch with their family members and the employer. We are trying our best to secure their release from captivity," Srivastava said.

Credit: HT Digital Content    Duration: 02:28Published

Tweets about this