Saudi state TV announced on Friday (October 19) the results of a preliminary investigation that it said shows Saudi journalist and Washington Post contributor Jamal Khashoggi is dead.
The Saudis said his death was the result of fight that broke out between Khashoggi and people who met him in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2nd.
A statement from the Saudi public prosecutor says investigations into Khashoggi's death are continuing, and 18 Saudi nationals have been arrested.
On Friday (October 19) night President Donald Trump told reporters in Arizona he thought the Saudi's explanation was credible.
(SOUNDBITE) (English) UNITED STATES PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP SAYING: "Saudi Arabia has been a great ally.
But what happened is unacceptable." But prior to the announcement, the President also said he might consider sanctions over the disappearance.
Along with the 18 arrests, the Saudis said the country's deputy intelligence chief, Ahmed Asiri, had been fired.
That's along with another adviser to the royal court, Saud al-Qahtani, seen as the right hand man of the Saudi crown prince, Mohammad bin Salman.
It marks the first time the Saudis have admitted to Khashoggi's death since he vanished following a visit to the consulate to collect documents that would allow him to marry his Turkish fiancé.
Turkish officials have been saying for weeks they believed he was killed inside the building, but the Saudis denied the allegations saying he left the consulate shortly after.
Two official Reuters sources in Turkey said on Friday (October 19) police had begun searching a forest on Istanbul's outskirts for Khashoggi's remains.