A high school student caught up in a viral video controversy, following a confrontation with protesters outside the Lincoln Memorial, has sued the Washington Post for defamation.
The $250 million lawsuit filed Tuesday claims the Washington Post falsely accused him of racist acts and says the newspaper "wrongfully targeted and bulled" 16-year-old Nicholas Sandmann because he was a white Catholic wearing a 'Make America Great Again' hat.
The lawsuit says the Washington Post did this to advance its bias against President Donald Trump.
The Kentucky teen was widely criticized last month after video surfaced of him standing face to face with Nathan Phillips, a Native American activist.
Sandmann can be seen staring and smiling at Phillips, who was singing and playing a drum.
The video quickly spread, causing outrage on social media.
Later - a video showing more context to the situation surfaced, showing a group of Black Hebrew Israelites taunting the students and mocking the Native American activists.
Sandmann says he was trying to diffuse the situation.
The Washington Post responded to the lawsuit, saying it is reviewing it and plans to mount a vigorous defense.