Australia  

Celebrating 10 Years of Trusted News Discovery
One News Page
> > >

At Least 49 Dead After Mosque Attacks In New Zealand

Video Credit: Newsy Studio - Duration: 01:27s - Published < > Embed
At Least 49 Dead After Mosque Attacks In New Zealand

At Least 49 Dead After Mosque Attacks In New Zealand

Police say one of three people arrested in connection with the attacks has been charged with murder.

0
shares
ShareTweetSavePostSend
 

At Least 49 Dead After Mosque Attacks In New Zealand

At least 49 people are dead and dozens of others  are wounded  following shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, on Friday.

"This is one of New Zealand's darkest days," Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said.

"Clearly what has happened is an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence." New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush said four people were taken into custody after the attacks.

He said none of them were on any active watch list.

One of them — a man in his late 20s — has been  charged with murder .

He's scheduled to appear in court Saturday morning.

Authorities later confirmed that one of the other three people detained was not involved in the incident.

The attacks on the two mosques occurred while people were inside both for Friday prayers.  Multiple reports say  one of the suspected gunmen broadcast live footage of one of the shootings online.

Police later called on the public not to share the footage and Facebook confirmed it had removed both the video and the account associated with it.

Police say officers also discovered two improvised explosive devices attached to a vehicle as part of the attack.

Bush told reporters Friday authorities had already disabled at least one of the devices.

The city of Christchurch was  still on lockdown  late Friday night local time as police continued to investigate the attacks.

Additional reporting from  Newsy affiliate CNN .




You Might Like


Recent related videos from verified sources

Plans for gun megastore in Christchurch cause backlash [Video]Plans for gun megastore in Christchurch cause backlash

New Zealand shop Gun City, which sold weapons to the man accused of shootings at two Christchurch mosques that killed 51 people and injured dozens, aroused community concerns on Wednesday with plans..

Credit: Reuters Studio     Duration: 01:04Published

New Zealand's first gun buy-back event a 'stunning' success [Video]New Zealand's first gun buy-back event a "stunning" success

New Zealand police on Saturday (July 13) labelled the country's first firearm buy-back event a "success" after 169 individuals handed in 224 prohibited firearms in the city of Christchurch. Rough cut..

Credit: Reuters Studio     Duration: 00:58Published

New Zealand mosque shooting suspect pleads not guilty to 51 murders [Video]New Zealand mosque shooting suspect pleads not guilty to 51 murders

The man accused of the New Zealand mosque attacks has pleaded not guilty to terrorism, murder, and attempted murder charges. 28-year-old Brenton Tarrant appeared at the hearing via video link from a..

Credit: Rumble     Duration: 00:32Published

New Zealand Mosque Shooting Suspect Pleads Not Guilty To 51 Murders [Video]New Zealand Mosque Shooting Suspect Pleads Not Guilty To 51 Murders

The man accused of the New Zealand mosque attacks has pleaded not guilty to terrorism, murder, and attempted murder charges. 28-year-old Brenton Tarrant appeared at the hearing via video link from a..

Credit: Wochit     Duration: 00:33Published

Environmentally friendly: One News Page is hosted on servers powered solely by renewable energy
© 2019 One News Page Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
About us  |  Contact us  |  Disclaimer  |  Press Room  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Content Accreditation
 RSS  |  News for my Website  |  Free news search widget  |  In the News  |  DMCA / Content Removal  |  Privacy & Data Protection Policy
How are we doing? FeedbackSend us your feedback  |   LIKE us on Facebook   FOLLOW us on Twitter  •  FOLLOW us on Pinterest
One News® is a registered trademark of One News Page Ltd.