A shot across the bow: that's what North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is calling this week's missile tests.
Official state media on Wednesday (August 7) released images of Kim watching the launches.
It quoted the Supreme Leader calling the tests a warning to the U.S. and South Korea.
That warning is aimed south of the heavily-armed border where the two allies are holding annual military drills.
This year, the drills are mostly computer simulated - not the usual large-scale exercises of the past.
Those have been suspended as part of negotiations with the North.
But Pyongyang doesn't seem appeased, warning the drills could derail nuclear talks.
Tuesday's short-range tests were the fourth in less than two weeks.
State media called it a new type of tactical guided missile.
Both Washington and Seoul have played down the tests U.S. National Security Adviser John Bolton on Tuesday went on Fox News to remind everyone that Kim has promised President Donald Trump he would NOT launch longer-range missiles - the kind that could threaten the United States.
But he also said Trump was watching the situation closely, a statement underlined by U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper after a meeting with Japan's prime minister on Wednesday (August 7).
(SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. SECRETARY OF DEFENSE, MARK ESPER, SAYING "North Korea also remains a great concern, and we deeply appreciate Japan's assistance in enforcing United Nations' security council resolution." The U.S. wants North Korea to scrap its nuclear weapons program.
But negotiations are currently on hold.
North Korea's foreign ministry on Tuesday (August 6) said it would give the U.S. until the end of the year to soften its policies of sanctions and political pressure.
According to a confidential UN report, North Korea is pressing on with its nuclear weapons program and several countries believe it has "probably developed miniaturized nuclear devices to fit into the warheads of its ballistic missiles." Gloria Tso reports.
The first publicly reported suspected case of Covid-19 within North Korea's borders has been reported. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un called an emergency meeting Saturday after the infection was reported. According to CNN, Kim believes a defector who fled the country 3 years ago returned to the country while infected with coronavirus. Authorities in South Korea confirmed that a defector did in fact cross the border into North Korea.
North Korean residents on Monday (July 27) watched fireworks and laid flowers at statues of their late leaders to commemorate the 67th anniversary of the end of the 1950-53 Korean War, state media reported.
A border city in North Korea has been locked down after a person suspected to have the new coronavirus was reported to have returned from South Korea in what, if confirmed, would be the first case officially acknowledged by North Korean authorities. David Doyle reports.
North Korea has declared a state of emergency after Kim Jong-un chaired an emergency politburo meeting about a suspected case of Covid-19.
State media said the person defected to South Korea three years ago, before illegally crossing back into the North in the last few days.
After tests, the individual is “suspected to have been infected with the vicious virus.”
The North Korean leader has also imposed a lockdown on Kaesong City, on the border with South Korea.
If confirmed, this would be the first official case of infection acknowledged by North Korean authorities.
So far the country has reported zero cases of infection, claiming it has taken strict measures to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus. Report by Avagninag. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has placed a city near the border with SouthKorea under lockdown over concerns the country has its first coronavirus case,state media reported. The measure was taken on Friday afternoon after aresident of Kaesong was found with suspected Covid-19 symptoms, according toNorth Korea’s Central News Agency (KCNA). It added that the person is arunaway who had fled to South Korea years ago before illegally crossing theborder into the North early last week. If that person is officially declared avirus patient, he or she would be the North’s first confirmed coronavirus casewith the country steadfastly saying it has no single virus case on itsterritory, a claim questioned by outside experts.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 00:42Published
North Korea’s leader has sacked officials building a hospital after they pressed the public for contributions, media reported on Monday, the second rebuke linked to the high-profile project in a country where such problems are rarely publicized. Lauren Anthony reports
Middle-class South Koreans are being squeezed out of Seoul, where affordable housing has run dry. That's despite multiple measures by President Moon Jae-in's government aimed at tamping down property prices. Gloria Tso reports.
From another Ayodhya priest testing positive days ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit, to the government issuing guidelines for gymnasiums and yoga centres ahead of their reopening from August 5 - here are the top news updates on the Covid-19 pandemic. The World Health Organisation has reportedly completed the groundwork in China for an investigation into the origin of the virus which causes the Covid-19 illness. WHO Director General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, also warned the world that although there is hope of development of an effective vaccine, there is also the possibility that we might never have a 'silver bullet' against the disease. Meanwhile, South Korean envoy to India, Shin Bong-kil, said that India has always been important when it comes to vaccines and the country also has a strong pharmaceutical industry. A controversy has broken out over the admission of Union Home minister Amit Shah to a private hospital in Gurugram after he tested positive for Covid infection. Congress' Shashi Tharoor said that patronage of the powerful is important to maintain public faith in government institutions. India also crossed a milestone in its fight against the virus. The country passed the landmark of 2 crore total tests on August 2. Watch the full video for the other updates regarding the spread of the Sars-CoV-2 coronavirus.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 02:46Published
US Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Wednesday contradicted President Donald Trump's earlier claim as to the cause of the explosion in Beirut, Lebanon. CNN reports Esper said 'most believe' that the explosion 'was an accident, as reported.' On Tuesday evening, Trump called it 'a terrible attack.' It's known that about 2,750 metric tons of ammonium nitrate had been stored at a port warehouse for the past six years.
The U.S. military unveiled details of its plans on Wednesday to withdraw about 12,000 troops from Germany following a decision by President Donald Trump. The U.S. said it plans to keep nearly half of them in Europe to address poterntial tensions with Russia. Adam Reed reports.
Not for the first time, President Donald Trump erupted late last week. This time it was in response to a move made by Defense Secretary Mark Esper. Esper had issued a new military-wide directive that was a de facto ban on the display of the Confederate flag. CNN reports sources say Trump was fuming over Esper's carefully worded memo that did not mention the flag by name. However, he effectively banned it from being flown on military installations by not naming it.
Secretary of Defense Mark Esper has have served exactly one year in his role, but according to CNN, the last few months have been the toughest. Defense officials say Esper has had to focus on preventing President Donald Trump from endangering national security or demoralizing military troops. According to CNN, Esper's numerous conflicts with the Trump administration have begun to spill out in public.
US Secretary of Defence Dr. Mark T. Esper on July 21 put a light on their vision towards the security in Indo- pacific region. He highlighted rapid increase in defence cooperation with India and even mentioned about focus of US over the situation between India and China. "I want to highlight our increased defence cooperation with India, one the all important defence relationships of 21th century. We conducted our first-ever joint military exercise last November," said US Defence Secretary. He added, "As we speak today, USS Nimitz is conducting combined exercise with Indian Navy in the Indian Ocean, demonstrating our shared commitment to stronger naval cooperation and support to a free and open Indo-Pacific." "We are obviously monitoring the situation between India and China very closely, what's happening along the Line of Actual Control and we are very pleased to see both sides are trying to de-escalate the situation," he said further.
President Donald Trump tore into his niece Mary Trump after days of silence about her latest work. Her recently published book is critical of the President and his family reports CNN. Trump is calling her "a mess" and alleging she wrote "untruthful things." The tell-all book is "Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man." It went on sale Tuesday and portrays the President in an unflattering light.
U.S. President Donald Trump's former national security adviser John Bolton said on Tuesday the United States should consider economic sanctions on Russia as part of a strong U.S. response if it is true that Moscow offered bounty payments to Taliban forces for killing Americans in Afghanistan.
Former US national security adviser John Bolton says Donald Trump's reaction to his tell-all book has been "childish" and "degrading to the presidency". Once a close figure to the US President, Bolton latest memoir lays bare a series of events happening behind the scenes of the Trump administration.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 00:47Published
In an interview on tonight's Channel 4 News, John Bolton, who served as President Donald Trump's National Security Advisor from April 2018 to September 2019, said the election of Boris Johnson as Prime Minister heralded a positive "sea change" in the UK's relationship with Mr Trump. Mr Bolton suggested Mr Johnson's appointment had a positive effect on Mr Trump as the President "can't distinguish between his personal relationships" and the "state of the national relationships between two countries". Report by Patelr. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn
US President Donald Trump abruptly escorted out of the White House briefing room by a Secret Service agent while he addressing reporters on Monday afternoon. Trump, however, returned minutes later, saying there was a 'shooting' outside the White House. "There was a shooting outside the White House and it seems to be very well under control. I would like to thank the Secret Service for doing their always quick and very effective work. But there was an actual shooting and somebody has been taken to the hospital. I don't know about the condition of the person. Seems like the person was shot at by the Secret Service," he said. Trump said he was escorted to the Oval Office by the agent. He also praised work of of the Secret Service personnel. Law enforcement officials are trying to determine the suspect's motive. The suspect was transferred to a local hospital. District of Columbia fire dept said the man suffered serious or possibly critical injuries. Authorities are investigating whether the individual has a history of mental illness. White House was placed on lockdown following the incident. The shooting reportedly took place near 17th Street & Pennsylvania Avenue, just blocks from the White House.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 02:12Published
North Korea has no intention to sit down with the United States and urged South Korea to "stop meddling," a senior diplomat said on Tuesday, just as a U.S. envoy was due to visit Seoul in an effort to renew stalled nuclear talks with Pyongyang. Ryan Brooks reports.
North Korea has decided to suspend military action plans against South Korea, the official KCNA news agency reported on Wednesday, as a report suggested North Korean troops were taking down loudspeakers recently reinstalled at the fortified border. Libby Hogan reports.
Equity benchmark indices closed marginally lower on Friday in line with Asian peers following a record contraction in economic data from the United States. The BSE SandP Sensex was down by 129 points or 0.34 per cent at 37,607 while the Nifty 50 slipped by 29 points or 0.26 per cent at 11,073. Sectoral indices at the National Stock Exchange were mixed with Nifty pharma gaining by 3.5 per cent and PSU bank by 1.4 per cent. But Nifty financial service, private bank and auto were in the red. Among stocks, Reliance Industries lost by 1.84 per cent to Rs 2,070 per share on profit-booking, a day after it reported over 30 per cent jump in Q1 net profit at Rs 13,248 crore. Eicher Motors slipped by 2.7 per cent, Bajaj Auto by 1.6 per cent and Hero MotoCorp by 1.2 per cent. HDFC Bank, HDFC and HDFC Life lost by 1.6 per cent, 1.3 per cent and 1.2 per cent respectively. The other prominent losers were Kotak Mahindra Bank, Wipro and Asian Paints. However, Sun Pharma moved up 5.4 per cent to close at Rs 537.80 per share while Cipla witnessed a gain of Rs 5.1 per cent. JSW Steel, State Bank of India, Axis Bank, HCL Technologies and Tata Motors too traded in the green. Meanwhile, Asian shares slid as abysmal economic data from the United States and rising global COVID-19 cases weighed on sentiment. US GDP collapsed at a 32.9 per cent annualised rate in the second quarter, the deepest decline on record, while jobless claims rose last week. Japan's Nikkei dropped by 2.82 per cent, Hong Kong's Hang Seng by 0.47 per cent and Seoul's Kospi by 0.78 per cent.
One of South Korea's most prominent elected officials, Park Won-soon, the longtime mayor of its capital, was found dead police, said on Friday, after he was reported missing by his daughter amid a criminal probe of an alleged impropriety. Freddie Joyner has more.
In an interview on CBS "This Morning", U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Tuesday that the U.S. hasn't 'gotten back to the table as quickly as they hoped' with North Korea on denuclearization..