Foster: No regrets not stepping aside as First Minister over 'cash for ash'
Arlene Foster says she has no regrets over not temporarily stepping down as first minister to avoid the collapse of powersharing.
Sinn Fein pulled the plug on the devolved executive in January 2017 when Mrs Foster refused to stand aside for six weeks to facilitate an investigation into her role in a botched green energy scheme.
The late Martin McGuinness resigned in protest at her decision – a move that precipitated the powersharing crisis, which has left Northern Ireland without a functioning government for almost three years.
Arlene Foster has announced further restrictions will be imposed on social gatherings in Northern Ireland. The province's first minister said there will be no mixing of two households indoors except for single-person household bubbles but stressed "this is not returning to lockdown". Report by Blairm. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn
Extra restrictions on social gatherings are to be imposed across NorthernIreland, First Minister Arlene Foster has said. There will be no mixing of twohouseholds indoors except for single-person household bubbles and certainother exemptions. No more than six people from two households can meet inprivate gardens. The DUP leader said: “It is in an environment where we feelsafe and relaxed that we drop our guard.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 01:36Published
Northern Ireland’s First Minister has warned the EU to stop using the regionas a “play thing”. Arlene Foster was responding to a question in the Assemblyon claims made by UK negotiator Lord Frost that the EU had raised the prospectof certain products being blocked from entering Northern Ireland from GreatBritain.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 00:30Published
Government ministers have warned that festivities including Christmas, BonfireNight and Diwali will not be “normal” this year – but it is unclear exactlywhat will be allowed. As the patchwork of local lockdowns evolves in Englandand Scotland alongside national measures in Northern Ireland and Wales, the PAnews agency considers what this means for celebrations.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 02:11Published
Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis has said a decision by EU chiefnegotiator Michel Barnier to stay on in London this week to continue talks ona post-Brexit trade deal is a “very good sign”. The talks had been expected toswitch to Brussels but it is reported that Mr Barnier is to remain in the UKuntil Wednesday – in part because of the high coronavirus infection rates inthe Belgian capital. Mr Lewis told BBC1’s The Andrew Marr Show: “The fact thatMichel Barnier has outlined in the last week or so that they are going to comeback and do these intensive negotiations, he recognises the EU do need tomove, and that he is staying through to next week, is totally a very goodsign. “We have got to make sure that it is a deal that works not just for ourpartners in Europe – we want to have a very good relationship with themobviously – but one that works for the United Kingdom. “I think there is agood chance that we can get a deal but I think it is for the EU to understandthat it is for them to move as well.”
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 00:36Published
Arrests have been made after more than 300 people gathered at Stormont todemonstrate against coronavirus regulations. It comes as Northern Ireland isfacing four weeks of tight restrictions on movement which the Executiveapproved to try to halt a dramatic increase in cases over recent weeks. Pubsand restaurants will close for four weeks, with the exception of takeaways anddeliveries, while schools will close on Monday for two weeks, one of whichwill cover the half-term break.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 00:56Published
Northern Ireland is to enter a period of intensified coronavirus restrictionsafter the Stormont Executive announced closures of schools, pubs andrestaurants. Pubs and restaurants will close for four weeks, with theexception of takeaways and deliveries, while schools will close on Monday fortwo weeks, one of which will cover the half-term break. The measures do notamount to a full-scale lockdown similar to that imposed during the first waveof the virus, but they mark a significant ramping up of the administration’sresponse to spiralling infection rates.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 01:59Published
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon responds to Alex Salmond's appearance at court on Thursday morning where he pleading not guilty to offences against 10 women. Nicola Sturgeon joined Anne McLaughlin, SNP..
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 01:24Published